Polygreen's vision is to support the transition to a more sustainable world in all aspects in which superabsorbent polymers are used or can be used.
Polygreen's contribution to sustainability in agriculture is based
on the following properties of our environmental SAP (eSAP), properties that distinguish it from commonly used SAPs:
• eSAP does not contaminate soil: it degrades in natural soil with no remnant microplastics nor any toxins.
• eSAP does not salinate the soil.
• eSAP is bio-based (Reference to our certification, ASTM D 6866-2020-02).
• eSAP lends itself to formulation. This enables supplementing the SAP with nutrients and anti-bacterial and anti-fungal substances, which provides a more efficient and more eco-friendly method of delivering such substances.
• eSAP can be produced at scale using eco-friendly procedures.
• eSAP is affordable.
Global warming implies less and irregular precipitation.
eSAP, when added to the plant environment, helps agriculture cope with this irregularity and with drought.
The ability to store water and gradually release it increases the plant's ability to adapt to precipitation fluctuations, elevates the level of crops, and thus enhances food security.
Moreover - SAP supplements (special product grade) support growth in all stages, particularly in more sensitive stages like transplanting seedlings from nursery to field.
Global warming has several positive feedback loops, and one of them is the expansion of deserts which decreases vegetation, thus reducing CO2 capture and further enhancing global warming.
Desertification affects food security.
One way of coping with desertification is reforestation.
eSAP can significantly contribute to such efforts due to its ability to improve water utilisation. Reforestation efforts (see, for example, the Chinese Green Wall ) are driven by public funding, which simplifies the usage of new tools like eSAP.
Avoid peat mining
Peat has practical uses in agriculture, but mining it releases harmful greenhouse gases, methane and CO2, which fuels climate change.
This danger has already led some countries to determine dates by which peat mining will be banned.
eSAP can be a sustainable soil component that replaces peat and eliminates peat mining as a water holder and nutrient supplier. It also reduces the amount of water required for irrigation.